Five surprising things pets should never eat
To keep them safe
Having a pet is a lot of responsibility. You have to bring them on daily walks, keep them safe from harm, and make sure that they are both well loved and well fed. But have you researched everything they can't eat? Hint: it's more than just chocolate. Check out this list of five surprising things your pet should never eat:
1. Grapes and raisins
The animal medical journal, Vet Now wrote, "While the toxic substance in grapes and raisins is unknown, it can cause kidney failure in sensitive individuals."
Surprising as it may be, your pets prefer to remain sober. Save the wine for yourself and just give them a chew toy and some water.
3. Coffee or other caffeinated beverages
A little bit of coffee or soda usually won't harm your animal, but if they do exhibit hyperactivity, restlessness, vomiting, an elevated heart rate, tremors, hyperthermia (elevated body temperature), seizures, or collapse, you should take them to the vet immediately, according to the Pet Poison Helpline. These negative side effects can be the result of excessive caffeine intake.
While avocados are not poisonous to cats and dogs, it is not something they should consume frequently. As for birds, the Pet Poison Helpline states that "pet birds should never be fed avocado, as canaries, parakeets, cockatiels, and large parrots are extremely susceptible to persin toxicity."
While you may be tempted to employ your pet to save you from having to kill a spider yourself, the insect can cause adverse reactions in animals. "If you see your dog or cat playing with a spider, simply remove your pet from the area and monitor him or her for clinical signs. Move the spider to a new, environmentally-friendly location," Pet Poison Helpline explains.
We all want our pets to be happy and healthy. By avoiding these foods and drinks, you can help them stay that way!
CELEBRITY Open letter
CELEBRITY Celebrity relationships
CELEBRITY Celebrity deaths
LIFESTYLE The troubles